From our State President…
My Fellow Elks!
Let me begin by thanking all who attended the Fall conference in Albany. We enjoyed an incredibly informative and fun filled weekend together. The workshops were well attended and very well presented by our State Committee Chairmen. I’m sure that everyone who attended is refreshed and reinvigorated to promote the many charitable programs that we as Elks do to support our communities.
October was ENF month. From Scholarships, veterans programs, youth activities, and drug awareness programs, the Elks National Foundation is the heartbeat that drives our programs. Please, take the time to inform your members how much the ENF does for us and ask them for their support. Don’t forget to take advantage of the thousands of dollars that are available in grants. Apply today!
November is Veterans Remembrance Month. There is no better time to remember and honor those who have sacrificed so much for us. Don’t forget to plan an event at your lodge in their honor to prove that “so long as there are Veterans the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks will never forget them”.
Our great Order is facing a tremendous decline in numbers. Since the turn of the century just 18 years ago we have lost over 15,000 members in New York alone. In the last few years we have done a good job to stem the decline but have fallen short of a gain in membership. As we celebrate our 150th anniversary there is no better time to commit to a gain in membership.
My goal for this year is to have a gain of 600 members across the great State of New York. This may seem like an impossible task but would only require an average gain of 5 members/lodge. This is an attainable goal. With this goal in mind, I am implementing the State President Membership Challenge for the months of November and December. Every member who sponsors 3 new members during these 2 months will have their name entered in a drawing. If you sponsor 6 new members your name will be entered twice and so on. These applicants will still have to go through the investigation process and will need to be initiated no later than February 15th. The drawing will be held after the final numbers have been calculated. Prizes for the drawing are as follows:
- 1st place – weekend getaway at Steamboat Castle B&B on the shores of beautiful Keuka lake
- 2nd place – 1 nights stay and dinner at State President homecoming April 27th 2019
- 3rd place – 1 nights stay and dinner at State President homecoming April 27th 2019
- 4th place – basket of local American made goodies
- 5th place – basket of cheer
- 6th place – basket of cheer
- 7th place – basket of cheer
- 8th place – State President membership team golf shirt
- 9th place – State President membership team golf shirt
- 10th place – State President membership team golf shirt